The Magic of Hawthorn Holiday English
How to best make use of your school term break? Join TMC Academy’s Hawthorn Holiday English – where you can learn and play at the same time!
Our customisable Holiday English programmes are catered to International student groups. We’ve received students as young as 8, and up to 40 years of age. Our students hail mainly from Asia countries, to name a few – Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Korea and Mongolia.
We have students from Korea,
… and all the way from Mongolia!
I’m interested to sign up for TMC Academy’s Holiday English Programme! What do I need to know?
1. Programme duration and hours
- Option 1: Classroom and Activity based learning (full day programme): 3 hours of lessons with 3 hours of activities and guided sessions in the Independent Learning Centre daily
- Option 2: Classroom-only based learning (half day programme): 3 hours of lessons daily
2. Students will take a placement test upon arrival in Singapore
Students who arrive as a group may not share the same English standard. The placement test will determine every individual’s level of English so they can learn at the right pace and in the right environment. The student will be allocated to one of the class levels as follows:
- Intermediate A
- Intermediate B
- Upper Intermediate A
- Upper Intermediate B
- Advanced A
- Advanced B
3. Different levels focus on different areas of English
The Beginner to Intermediate B curriculum focuses on:
- Oral communication skills
- Fluency and accuracy in spoken language
- Understanding a broad variety of English speakers
- Reading and understanding a range of texts in English
- Expanding vocabulary
- Writing accurately and fluently in a variety of styles
- Developing the skills and confidence to use English beyond the classroom environment
The Upper Intermediate A to Advanced B curriculum focuses on:
- Note taking
- Study skills, vocabulary building
- Listening for gist and meaning
- Reading – skimming, scanning, reading for meaning
- Academic writing (topic sentences, supporting sentences, paragraphs, organisation; essays and reviews)
- Library research, resources, and fact checking
4. Programme taught by experienced international teachers
Students get to learn from teachers from the UK, the US, Europe and Singapore! Our native English speaking teachers bring with them a strong English foundation with innovative teaching methods.
5. Students engage in fun learning!
With after-class clubs to enhance learning and excursions every school term, students on the Holiday programme get plenty of opportunities to practise speaking and writing the language.
6. Students bring home a certificate!
All students who complete the Holiday English programme will receive a Certificate of Participation. Students who sign up for the English test will receive a Certificate of English (accorded to their level), upon passing the test.