Students will refine their language skills in speaking, writing, reading, and listening in preparation for the IELTS exam. During the course, students will be taught the format and structure of the exam, as well as important exam strategies. This course is only for advanced students. It is recommended that students take the Strategies for Academic Success class before take the IELTs course. We pride ourselves on the quality of our teachers and our class size. Our smaller size means heightened teacher/student interaction.
This course can be completed in 8 weeks. 4 hours daily for the first 4 weeks, and 3 hours daily for the last 4 weeks.
▼ Click to expand ▼
At least 14 years old
At least 6 years of formal education
Pass Hawthorn Placement Test at Intermediate 1 level
Applicants with an English proficiency level equivalent to a pass at Hawthorn Intermediate 2 level may be admitted subject to undertaking Learning Support classes*, for which they will be charged a fee.
It is important to achieve regular attendance and meet the attendance requirement stipulated by the authorities (eg. Immigration and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore) and TMC. Failure to meet the requirement will lead to the following:
- Rejection of Student Pass on re-application/renewal for international students.
- Expulsion where students do not make any improvement in their attendance rate and/or consistently absent from class despite warnings and counselling given in accordance with the school policy
Attendance Requirement is as follows:
For all propriety students, module attendance is required to be eligible for work to be assessed and sit for examination:
- The minimum module attendance is normally 80% for full-time, 60% for part-time (75% for SSG-funded part-time students)
- Special consideration will only be given to students with valid reasons.
All full-time international students must meet a monthly attendance of 90%. Student pass shall be subjected to cancellation if the monthly attendance is not met continuously.
Full-time local students enrolled in Hawthorn English courses, TMC College preparatory courses and external degree courses must meet a monthly attendance of 75%. Local students enrolled in external degree courses shall be subject to relevant university’s regulations regarding attendance.
(New Student / TMC’s Existing / Local Transfer Student)
All the course fees stated below are inclusive of course materials, examination fee and lab fee unless stated otherwise. Repeat fees and other administrative fees are listed in the Miscellaneous Fee List.
Single / Bundled Programs
Application Fees: $200
International Student Administrative Fee: $650
Existing / Local Transfer
Application Fees: $100
International Student Administrative Fee: $350
Fee Protection Scheme Fee
0.75% of (Course Fee less grant + Medical Insurance + International Student Administrative Fee) OR $25 whichever is higher
Medical Insurance Fee
$80 Per Course Per Year
All fees subject to prevailing GST of 7%
Preparatory Course for International English Language Testing System
$2,600 (exclusive of GST)
Short Course: IELTS Preparation
$1,250 (exclusive of GST)
All fees indicated are in Singapore Dollars (SGD).
- Bundle discount will be given to students who bundle Hawthorn with other courses. Please consult the Student Recruitment, Student Admission or Student Service department for details.
- The fees for IELTS courses include textbooks but exclude IELTS exam registration fee.